Tuesday, April 15

I really don't like my daughter's teacher....

I haven't really liked her all year and not many of the parents do like her. She doesn't give good information, she doesn't encourage the children do do more than what is minimally expected of them, she can't keep the bullying away from her classroom. I am so glad the school year is almost over and that I have a child that doesn't "notice" things very easily. But even Lilly has been affected negatively by this teacher. Every teacher she has had since Kindergarten (she's had 5) has always instantly become her "favorite teacher", it's been like that until this year. My child is a suck up, brown noser, teacher's pet, whatever name you want to call it, she just loves teachers. Everyday she still visits her first and second grade teachers on her way into the school, everyday she greets them with a hug. And they just love her, all teachers always have, until this year. This year was the first time we ever heard bad reviews during parent teacher conferences. The child has straight A's, what can be so bad you ask? Her mouth, she likes to talk, always has. Her previous teachers have always found ways to deal with it and stop her from being so "social" (as her kindergarten teacher called it). I am sorry but this is what the woman is paid to do, I can't sit at school with Lilly all day telling her to be quiet. Plus, if I don't know it's going on (until 4 weeks after school starts) I can't even attempt to stop it by talking to her at home.

So these are the emails I received today from her teacher.

Good afternoon! I just wanted to let you know that your child chose not to participate in the KU Reading program. This means that he/she did not record at least 12 books that he/she read through the course of the school year. When I asked the students if they wanted to put a list together real quick today, they said no. Therefore, your child will not be attending the award ceremony in May and receiving a reading certificate.
I wanted to let you know about this ahead of time so that there isn’t any confusion or hard feels on the day of the reception. If you have any questions, please contact me. Thanks!


3rd Grade Teacher

After that email I sent in a response asking should I want her to participate could she and what needed to be done. Personally I believe she is 8 and as an 8 year old she would do only what is expected of her, nothing more. So as her parent and as her teacher we need to encourage her to do more than just slide by. I am a huge hypocrite, I only slid by in school, but I want better for my daughter, plus she actually enjoys school unlike me.

This was her response:

Mrs. W.,
If you want to have her do it, she must list 12 (or more) books that she has read over the course of the year. If possible include the authors and what type of book (fiction, nonfiction, ect.).
However, this was supposed to be the choice of the students. When I talked with her about it, she said she wasn’t interested and she didn’t want to do it. She has known about the program all year and the award reception. Part of me feels that she may need to sit this one and see the consequences of her choice. I have no doubt that she has read 12 books…..probably 10 times that many! But I also feel that she decided that she didn’t want to take on the task of keeping track.
It is completely up to you on how you want to handle the situation. If she comes in with a list tomorrow I will turn it in the librarian and she will get to attend the reception. Thanks for your support and concern!!!


3rd Grade Teacher

Two things really annoy me about this email. 1) I didn't even know about the program. I read everything that comes home, plus the teacher emails us copies of the important stuff. I never once saw anything about this program. 2) She is not her mother and doesn't get a say in what consequences Lilly should face. I really don't know why this is the first we are hearing of this and it just irritates me.

She is doing it and she already has down 16 of the 25 books she's read this year. And those were just the chapter books from her own personal library, not ones she brought home from school or picture books she reads to her sisters. She had to go to bed and get up early to finish it. We had a long talk with her about why doing extra is a good thing, even if it means just a little more work.

I know I sound like a nutcase, but this is really the straw that broke the camels back for me.

__________________________________________________

For something different, try this (if you haven't already):

How Many of Me It shows you statistics about your name. There are 607,710 people in the US with my first name, 912 with my maiden last name, 2 people with my full maiden name, 85,079 people with my married last name, and 107 people with my married full name.

2 comments:

KiKi said...

She sends you that tacky email and you feel like a nutcase? For
1) wanting better for your daughter? (This doesn't make you hypocrite. You want BETTER for her.)
2)wanting to be informed about things like this BEFORE it's too late? ("I wanted to let you know about this ahead of time so that there isn’t any confusion or hard feels on the day of the reception.")

Your daughter is 8. If that email is any indication of the kind of "encouragement" that teacher gives, no wonder she said no. I don't know if she just took the no at face value or tried to go deeper, but at the very least her email to you could have been rephrased with words like, "I am concerned," or "I'd like to let you know about a potentially difficult situation."

Someone needs to work on their communication skills.

Stephanie said...

Thanks, I sometimes need feedback from people outside my house to validate what I know to be right. So I know I am not overreacting.

She should be encouraging the children and I told her so. I am trying very hard not to get bitchy with her since we only have month left and it would only serve to cause my daughter heartache, but it's becoming increasingly difficult. My mom, who is a principal and former teacher, also thinks she should be digging deeper and encouraging the children who are less likely to want to do "more work".