Monday, January 5

My Very First Sewing Project



Alright, that's not exactly true, I did take a sewing class when I was ten and took Home EC in high school. But the shorts I made in the sewing class didn't turn out and I never finished my apron project in high school.

Anyhow, yesterday morning I was trying to nap simply because I was bored and Delilah was sleeping. I wasn't tired so I sat and thought. I have been down a lot since Kale left again, it's harder this time around. I knew I needed something to occupy my time and keep my mind off my loneliness. So I decided I would teach myself to sew. K had offered to teach me years and years ago, but for some reason (maybe because we tended to shop more than sit at home) we never got around to it.

I took Meme, Lilly, and Aidan to Joann's and we picked out a pattern that said it was easy. Then after 45 mins of decision making I finally picked fabric and all the "notions". $28 later I had two patterns, 2.5 yards of fabric, thread, buttons, two zippers and a "green bag", enough to make Aidan a dress and a shirt for Sophia. Not too bad. I started cutting the pattern out at 6:30pm and started to sew at 7:20pm after I put Delilah, Sophia, and Aidan to bed.

I was on the phone with K after the first hour of sewing. She helped talk me though the rough patches. Apparently the pattern I picked was not necessarily for beginners. It had a zipper, gathering, and button holes (which I didn't do, as it wasn't needed due to the zipper). I finally finished at 12:30am. I think it's pretty cute myself. I wish I had fitted it to her before I put the straps in place, they needed to be in further. But she wasn't awake, when I do Aidan's I will fit it to her better.

I am pretty proud of myself. My goal is to feel comfortable enough by Easter to attempt dresses for each girl. I may try Valentine's Shirts next.


She calls it her "princess dress shirt"


4 comments:

Memarie Lane said...

Very cute! Jessamine calls anything that poofs out a bit a Princess item. I have a little simple tutu that I tie around her waist for instant Princess status. :P

United Studies said...

Talented people like you make me jealous. :-) I really want to learn to sew.

Stephanie said...

I am seriously impressed. I can't sew squat. In fact, I'm good friends with that WonderWeb or whatever it's called that lets you just fuse everything together with an iron. :)

My husband can actually sew pretty well, though. He has an unfair advantage--his Mom was a seamstress.

Jennifer said...

YOU GO GIRL!!:)

love the material too!! And Sophia looks so darn cute!!! :)


xoxoxox